Disclosure: We scrutinize our research, ratings and reviews using strict editorial integrity. In full transparency, this site may receive compensation from partners listed through affiliate partnerships, though this does not affect our ratings. Learn more about how we make money by visiting our advertiser disclosure.

The standard mileage rates used to calculate permissible tax deductions for the use of an  automobile (e.g., a car, van, pickup truck, or panel truck) are changing for 2024.

That’s good news for gig workers and others who use their own vehicle for business purposes, since their rate is going up (which means a higher deduction).

However, people who drive long distances to receive medical care and members of the military relocating under military orders won’t be too happy, since their rates are going down. And if you use your own car while volunteering for a charity, your rate will remain the same.

Standard Mileage Rates for 2024

vehicle car mileage

Starting Jan. 1, 2024, the standard mileage rates for use of an automobile will be as follows:

  • 67¢ per mile for business use (up from 65.5¢ per mile for 2023)
  • 21¢ per mile for medical transportation (down from 22¢ per mile for 2023)
  • 21¢ per mile for military moving (down from 22¢ per mile for 2023)
  • 14¢ per mile charitable use (no change from 2023)

The rates apply to electric and hybrid-electric vehicles, as well as to gasoline and diesel-powered cars, vans, and trucks.

Business Use of a Vehicle

self employed driver

If you’re self-employed (including side gigs), you can deduct expenses related to the use of your car, truck, or van for business uses. However, you can’t deduct expenses for the use of your vehicle while working for someone else (e.g., you’re an employee at a business that’s not your own). This write-off is claimed on Schedule C.

You can calculate the deduction for the business use of your vehicle in one of two ways. One option is to base the deduction on your actual expenses (e.g., gas, oil, gas, oil, repairs, tires, insurance, registration fees, depreciation, lease payments) attributable to the portion of the total miles driven that are for business. However, it can take a lot of time and effort keeping track of all those expenses.

The second option is to use the standard mileage rate. In that case, you still need to keep track of total miles driven for business purposes during the year, but then you just multiply that total by the standard mileage rate. For example, if you drove 1,200 miles for business this year, you would multiply those miles times 65.5¢ (1,200 x 0.655), so your deduction for the 2023 tax year would be $786.

WealthUp Tip: Parking fees and tolls paid while driving for your business are separately deductible whether you use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.

Driving to Medical Appointments

negotiating before treatment medical bill

If you itemize, you can deduct certain unreimbursed medical expenses exceeding 7.5% of your adjusted gross income (AGI) for the year. For example, if your AGI is $100,000, you qualify for an itemized deduction for any unreimbursed medical expenses above $7,500 ($100,000 x 7.5%). Therefore, if you have $10,000 of unreimbursed medical expenses for the year, that results in a $2,500 deduction ($10,000 – $7,500).

Medical expenses that qualify for this deduction include unreimbursed payments for doctor appointments, prescription drugs, dental work, glasses, crutches, and the like—and for transportation related to medical care. This includes any out-of-pocket costs for the use of your own car to get medical treatment, including gas, oil, parking, and tolls. However, it doesn’t include depreciation, insurance, general repair, or maintenance costs for your car.

Again, you can use your actual expenses or the standard mileage rate to calculate the amount of your deduction. As with other itemized deductions, you can claim this write-off on Schedule A.

Military Moving Expenses

military soldiers marching

If you’re an active duty member of the U.S. military, you can deduct unreimbursed moving expenses if your relocation is due to a military order and permanent change of station.

WealthUp Tip: A permanent change of station includes a move from your home to your first active duty post, from one permanent post to another, and from your last post to your home. A move from your last post generally must occur within one year of ending active duty.

So, if you drive yourself (including your spouse and dependents) to your new post, you can claim a deduction for your out-of-pocket car expenses, such as gas, oil, parking, and tolls.

As you may have guessed, you can use the actual expense method or the standard mileage rate to calculate your deduction. Use Form 3903 to report your deductible moving expenses.

Driving for Charity

best paid surveys kids and teens giving charity sharing boxes volunteer

If you itemize, you can generally deduct donations to charity. However, the charitable tax deduction isn’t just for donations of cash or property—you can generally deduct unreimbursed expenses you paid in connection with volunteer work for a charitable organization.

This includes travel expenses related to your volunteer service. So, if you use your own vehicle while volunteering for charity, you can deduct either your actual expenses (e.g., gas, oil, etc.) or 14¢ per mile (again, this mileage rate does not change from year to year). Parking fees and tolls are also deductible.

However, if you’re traveling away from home, there can’t be a significant amount of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation-like activities. Otherwise, your travel expenses aren’t deductible.

Rocky has been covering federal and state tax developments for over 25 years. During that time, he has provided tax information and guidance to millions of tax professionals and ordinary Americans. As Senior Tax Editor for WealthUp from Jan. 2023 to Feb. 2024, Rocky spent most of his time writing and editing online tax content.

Before working for WealthUp, Rocky was a Senior Tax Editor for Kiplinger, where he wrote and edited tax content for Kiplinger.com, Kiplinger’s Retirement Report and The Kiplinger Tax Letter. Prior to his time at Kiplinger, Rocky was a Senior Writer/Analyst for Wolters Kluwer Tax & Accounting. In that role, he managed a portfolio of print and digital state income tax research products, led the development of various new print and online products, authored white papers and other special publications, coordinated with authors of a state tax treatise, and acted as media contact for the state income tax group (where he was quoted as an expert by USA Today, Forbes, U.S. News & World Report, Reuters, Accounting Today, and other national media outlets). Before that, Rocky was an Executive Editor at Kleinrock Publishing, which provided tax research products for tax professionals. At Kleinrock, he directed the development, maintenance, and enhancement of all state tax and payroll law publications, including electronic research products, monthly newsletters, and handbooks.

Rocky has a law degree from the University of Connecticut and a B.A. in History from Salisbury University.